This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knetworkmanager disabled

EDITED - Out of desperation of wanting to watch some hockey online, I ran sudo apt-get purge networkmanager-kde, autoremove, and then installed wicd from a tarball I had on a flash drive.

Before my problems, I changed the system tray setting for networkmanager to 'hidden'. After the next restart, it didn't automatically connect and said 'network manager is disabled' if I clicked on it. Hovering over it made it read that 'wireless networks unmanaged'. I thought it might be a plasma problem, so I deleted the files plasmarc & plasma-appletsrc and logged back in. No dice. Deleted the ./kde folder, but network manager hadn't changed. So, as I said above, I purged network manager (though all its icons are still lingering in my menus and system tray) and nstalled wicd from a tarball pull.

What I'd like to do - simply remove wicd completely and freshly install networkmanager with its default settings. I would think sudo apt-get purge & install would be working, but apparently that's not happening so well today? Can I just sudo apt-get install networkmanager-kde? Will that remove wicd (shouldn't it?)?

Re: knetworkmanager disabled

From a Konsole:

kdesudo kate /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

What should be in it is:
    [main]
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=true
    WWANEnabled=true

your "WirelessEnabled" is probably set to false.

Save your changes. Restart the network:

sudo service networking restart

BUT, that isn't your problem!

FIRST, install ALL of the files with "wicd" in their name. Should be about five of them.

THEN, completely remove the following packages:

modemmanager
    network-manager
    network-manager-openconnect
    network-manager-openvpn
    network-manager-pptp
    network-manager-vpnc
    knm-runtime
    network-manager-kde
    plasma-widget-networkmanagement

then reboot.
    Then run wicd: K --> Internet --> wicd
    When wicd comes up configure your wireless connection.

DON'T go installing tar-balls unless you are a programmer and know how to do it in Linux. 99.99999% of what you need is in the repository or the PPA's.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

but what if I actually want to use knetwork instead of wicd?

(what I ran to install wicd after extracting was python setup.py configure and then python setup.py install what other files were you mentioning?)

Code:
      returned :
      Code:
      restart: Unknown instance

Comment

Originally posted by Aykay
        but what if I actually want to use knetwork instead of wicd?
        Then install these files:
        modemmanager
        network-manager
        network-manager-openconnect
        network-manager-openvpn
        network-manager-pptp
        network-manager-vpnc
        knm-runtime
        network-manager-kde
        plasma-widget-networkmanagement
        and uninstall these files:
        python-urwid
        python-wicd
        wicd
        wicd-cli
        wicd-curses
        wicd-daemon
        wicd-gtk
        and reboot. (Changing kernels is about the only reasons why a reboot is necessary, except for wireless mangers, unless one learns to turn network and wireless services on and off manually).

(what I ran to install wicd after extracting was python setup.py configure and then python setup.py install what other files were you mentioning?)
        You've lost me there ...

Code:
        returned :
        Code:
        restart: Unknown instance
        Then the networking service has only "start" and "stop" parameters. Do a "stop" and then repeat it doing a "start". There is a Service Monitor plasmoid that you can put on your desktop. With a click of your mouse you can start and stop services you've chosen to monitor. Doing
        sudo service --status-all
        will show you all the services available to turn on and off. But, don't go turning them on or off willy-nilly because their activity varies with the level (single, multi-user, network, etc... from 0 to 6). You can use sys-rc-conf to see a console menu tree of services and their levels.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

FYI, I had to troubleshoot my daughter's machine with 10.04 on it for a network manager that got itself 'disabled', which 10.04 seems to do every so often. Had to do this via text messages from some 2,000 km distance. However, editing the file you mentioned using Kate got her machine running again. Much thanks.

Frank.
          Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
          X