X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWallet with Blank password

Hi

Recently did a karmic reinstall - one or 2 of my applications did not get on too well with KDE 4.4 RC and attempting to downgrade made a complete mess! It would not log in complaining that certain files were not writable. Now running 4.3.4 and, frankly, it's much better.

Anyway - I don't use any of the KDE Pim applications (Kontact, korganizer, kmail). I decided I would see how I got on with knetworkmanager instead of wicd and to enable it to connect automatically I set up kwallet with a blank password. Knetworkmanager now connects flawlessly to my wireless router.

I have read elsewhere that kwallet sets up some form of encryption. Is that correct and if so could it explain why from a live CD I was able to see my home folder but unable to open it due to lack of permissions whereas I could do anything I wanted with the root partition? Am I risking anything running with a blank kwallet password, given that I am not running any applications that seem to require the wallet?

Any input gratefully received. Thanks
    ian

Re: KWallet with Blank password

you should have no problems using a blank password with kwallet. the only downside will be that if you loged in you will not need a seperate password to view wallet contents...
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for that - my only problem with knetworkmanager in the past was that before connecting to a wifi connection the wallet would spring up and require a password. Got a bit irritating which is why I used wicd. That's the beauty of linux isn't it, you have the choice

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Thanks for that - my only problem with knetworkmanager in the past was that before connecting to a wifi connection the wallet would spring up and require a password. Got a bit irritating which is why I used wicd. That's the beauty of linux isn't it, you have the choice
        Ian
        and that is exactly the reason i never put a pass in to my wallet, it just get annoying.... besides you first need to be loged in as <user> to access that wallet anyway..

Comment

the network manager and Kwallet thing was anoing me as well .............I just disabeld the wallet in system settings>advanced>Kde wallet and uncheck the enabel kde wallet subsystem box and it wont bother you agin!!

BUT I use a unsecured wireless setup so I dont know if this will afect encripted net works?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            the network manager and Kwallet thing was anoing me as well .............I just disabeld the wallet in system settings>advanced>Kde wallet and uncheck the enabel kde wallet subsystem box and it wont bother you agin!!

BUT I use a unsecured wireless setup so I dont know if this will afect encripted net works?

VINNY
            i'm rather sure, if you network is encrypted you would have to put the key in every connect w/ the wallet disabled (since its the password storage system).

Comment

Working...
            X